High Mountain Conditions

Discussion in 'High Mountain Park Preserve' started by Berms&Boofs, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Mr.Moto

Mr.Moto Well-Known Member

Was convinced to get out and ride at High Mountain today. Made first tracks on most of the trails we were on. Some of the trails we hit included Twisty Deer, Jack's and Ancients. Conditions were very good. 1 to 3 inches of snow. Was cold so traction remained good even with the B fat set up. Only pic I took:

IMG_2080.JPG

Berms&Boofs, Kaleidopete and C8N like this.
  2. Berms&Boofs

Berms&Boofs Member

High Mt is all slop right now. It needs some days to finish melting and dry out. The shady areas still have ~4" of snow left.
    upload_2017-3-25_9-21-5.png

upload_2017-3-25_9-21-41.png

C8N likes this.
  3. pat_the_cat

pat_the_cat Member

Oh man. Is that how it is throughout the whole park? I was really hoping to ride there today.

4. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

Now I am sad... was looking forward to getting back to HM next weekend but doesn't look like that will be possible

5. soundz

soundz The Hat Team MTBNJ Halter's

I wonder why its called "high" mountain.

6. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

It's because there is a High Mountain Church near it

7. Berms&Boofs

Berms&Boofs Member

Zaskar and soundz like this.
  8. liong71er

liong71er Well-Known Member

HM always like that conditions after winter,.. why surprised,i would still rode there regardless

9. bucknejo

bucknejo Active Member

Anyone have info if HMP will be ride-able tomorrow early morning?

10. Berms&Boofs

Berms&Boofs Member

I was there hiking today. The blazed trails were flooded as usual. Ancients seemed to be well drained. Just stay on the higher trails and it will likely be fine. The singletrack at HM usually only needs one day to drain.

11. bucknejo

bucknejo Active Member

Right on, thanks!

12. Firulay1

Firulay1 New Member

Anybody can give a recommendation to ride this place, will be first time here, I'm planning to do the trail counter-clockwise starting on red then taking yellow, from there just keep going, just want to make sure is is OK to do it counter clockwise

13. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Active Member

Download maprika and stay off the marked trails. They're boring.

14. C8N

C8N Well-Known Member

The colored trails should be a swampy mess.
    Stick to the unmarked trails.

15. Firulay1

Firulay1 New Member

16. gmb3

gmb3 Active Member

Super dry, almost dusty yesterday 6/29. Could use a little rain. Awesome ride though. Trails are looking well maintained. Liking this place more and more.

Berms&Boofs likes this.
  17. gmb3

gmb3 Active Member

Did Circle Switch -> Jacks -> Ancients tonight and it was super dry. This rain should actually help. Leaf cover was an issue, lost the trail multiple times.

Also, i think there were a few trees down way at the end of my ride like on the white/yellow doubletrack almost at the circle. I coulda been off-trail though, it was very dark by that point.

18. gmb3

gmb3 Active Member

Dry tonight (obviously) but noticed someone cleared leaves off Ancients, thank you! Didn't lose the trail once tonight except when i got to that same point on the white/yellow doubletrack almost at the circle, basically where the singletrack ends. Again not sure if i was off trail or if there were trees down.