What have you done to your bike today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Talk' started by Chris(NJ), Mar 23, 2011.

1. rlb

rlb Well-Known Member

Installed a much needed new chain

IMG_20171006_192849.jpg

jmanic, fidodie and Juggernaut like this.
  2. Tony13

Tony13 New Member

20171007_182409.jpg 20171007_182431.jpg Just installed new bar , stem and grips. Bars are pretty wide. I can see me shortening them a bit.

Juggernaut likes this.
  3. Ryan.P

Ryan.P Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

20171008_090253.jpg
    One up composite pedals. After rock surfing blue mtn PA yesterday I can confirm the composite body slides over rocks without getting hung up compared to aluminum.

jmanic, qclabrat, fidodie and 2 others like this.
  4. fidodie

fidodie Well-Known Member Staff Member

@Santapez hooked me up with some skinny 29er wheels, so i sprung for a second xx1 11sp cog/dome(?)
    Set up tubeless after a 5 minute battle! (used the strap method with the valve core removed)

half a twist of the barrel adjuster to quiet the shifting, and centering the brake caliper. Just need to flip the insert on the shock, and i'm
    good to go. well, on the tow path anyway. #bumthumb

bike is going to lose about 1lb total. the other wheel is at halter's - that should happen soon.

IMG_7757.JPG IMG_7758.JPG

Attached Files:

rlb, jmanic, domo and 3 others like this.
  5. i ride after 5

i ride after 5 Bass Boat Hat

@fidodie You're going to like it so much better.#29er4life

Santapez and fidodie like this.
  6. Santapez

Santapez Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

I had Jay's higher end 27.5 Tallboy for a month, then my 29er. I much prefer the 29 version.

Actually I lied. 27.5+ is the best thing ever. Someone buy my extra 27.5" wheelset that would fit a tallboy, taken off Joy's 5010. :)

rlb and fidodie like this.
  7. fidodie

while i was at it, i fixed that b+ wheel that cause the failure at the sourlands and CR.
    Pulled the tube (again), straightened the dent in the rim, and mounted-up the better of the two ignitors - rather than the rocket ron. didn't like the braking of the rr,
    but do like the cornering. i'll probably run that up front of the hardtail, in 27.5 version (@jdog suggested, since i'm going with a longer travel fork.)

can't wait for thanksgiving! ugh. towpath century coming.....

@Ryan.P ?

wait, don't you want to run b+ in the winter?

8. Ryan.P

Ryan.P Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

no thanks , i may build or buy a santa cruz chameleon ss for the winter but no interest in plus wheels / tires

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
    fidodie and 1sh0t1b33r like this.
  9. qclabrat

qclabrat Well-Known Member

trying to narrow down some fork choices, anyone have a useful comment on using a SID with 120mm travel for a single speed?
    was first considering beefier options such at the MRP Loop, but now I'm thinking light might be better.

10. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Well-Known Member

I run the SID WC on my SS (100mm doe). The 120mm is too flimsy for me. It just flexes way too much. I run the Fox 34 120 on the FS. You're a whole person thinner than me so maybe it'll be ok for you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    qclabrat and fidodie like this.
  11. qclabrat

was looking for more bike storage ideas and came across this one (couldn't find @hotsauce 's thread to add to tho)
    But seems easy enough to DIY, thinking just a 2x3 for the wheels and a cord fixed to the wall to provide the right angle to over lap bikes by hooking on to the top tube
    anyone tried make something like this?

12. Juggernaut

Interesting. I didn't realize from the thumbnail that it was the Pedal spindle that's securing the bike to the wall.

13. qclabrat

that's the part I don't buy into. Easy to DIY, but leaves very little customizing on the angles and spacing

14. Juggernaut

You could do the same thing with an eyebolt in the wall and a length of rope with a hook on the end; just put the hook through the pedal body. A sliding tension knot (like you use on tent fly's) could be used to change the length for different bikes.

15. hotsauce

hotsauce Well-Known Member

I think I was just posting in the DIY thread.

I looked at these a little but basically it's no different than something designed to hold the bike up horizontally by the top-tube, just using a different mounting location. Although if you don't have a flat top-tube or have other stuff in the way, the only option may be the pedal spindle.

I ended up passing on these simply because I don't have any wall space that's not a door/closet or in an area where a bike wouldn't make sense (i.e. over the bed). My end game is blowing a hole in a wall to take advantage of dead space under a U-shaped staircase. Hopefully it's sorted out by year end!

16. fidodie

what about using a 6' long shelf standard with different length shelf brackets - a little bit of modification to hook the pedal. Standards give height flexibility and the brackets come in different lengths.

17. sptimmy43

sptimmy43 Member

Played around with volume spacers for the first time today in both my fork and shock. It was surprisingly easy to do. I'll see how things have changed this weekend... If I guessed right I'll get away with slightly less pressure making things a bit more plush but not bottom out too easily.

Juggernaut likes this.
  18. qclabrat

Which fork and shock?

19. sptimmy43

sptimmy43 Member

Fox Rhythm 34 Grip fork and a Fox Float DPS Performance shock.

fidodie and qclabrat like this.
  20. qclabrat

I'm not skinny, just small boned
    that's why I've broken myself so easy....

think I'll regret getting anything with a 32 for 120mm or greater
    more money to spend :oops: